Friday, October 4, 2013

My Favorite Pokémon: Fighting Edition

The Fighting Type

I never understood the difference between Normal and Fighting types. Like, I understand how each are different in the terms of the game (Fighting types are strong against Rock, Normal, and Ice types, can't hit Ghost types and weak to Psychic and Flying types), but I didn't understand the need for a delineation. In the Fighting vs. Psychic realm, it's about brawn vs. brains. But most Normal moves are physical moves based on fighting techniques. What makes Take Down a Normal move and Submission a Fighting move? I feel that its an unnecessary category, but most of my favorites come from the first Generation, so it warrants it's own focus this time.

5. Machoke
The Machamp family are just stylized bodybuilders. I feel Machoke has the best design out of the three, as Machamp's extra arms look a little goofy. The champion belt that it wears is a nice touch, and the read streaks on its arms give the impression that its muscles are literally burst from underneath its skin. It's a little gross, but cool at the same time. Plus, I enjoy the wild Machokes that always seem to stir up trouble in the various manga chapters.

4. Primeape
Primeape is another silly looking creature (with both pig and ape like features) but the fact that it is just a furball filled with unbridled rage strikes me as such a funny concept and image.  I chose Primeape over his younger counterpart due to the existence of the wrist and ankle clamps that suggest it broke free from its restraints.

3 & 2. Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan
  
As a concept, I really enjoy the duality of Hitmonlee and Hitmonchan.  One is devoted to kicking and the other to punching.  Simple, really.  In terms of design, both are cool looking, and I particualrly enjoy the various interpretations manga artists take with Hitmonlee (stretchy legs and hidden mouths and what not).  But overall, I think Hitmonlee looks slightly cooler.  The weird head, the permanent boxing outfit.  It's just a bizarre looking creature that represents the ultimate Fighting Pokémon to me.

1. Poliwrath (but really Poliwhirl)
Okay, this is a weird cheat.  For pure Fighting, I'd go for Hitmonchan all the time, but I really like Polwhirl and there are just too many Water Pokémon already.  But since he only appears as a Fighting-type once he evolves, I had to give it to Poliwrath.  But Poliwhirl is Satoshi Tajiri's favorite Pokémon (or was when the series started) and as a result, he always appeared in official art and promotional materials as if he were a main player (like Pikachu, Charizard or Mewtwo).  I always wondered why Poliwhirl was tossed in with the rest and upon learning his significance, I warmed up to him.  This was the reason he was picked as Red's starter Pokémon in Pokémon Adventures and that's where I really started to appreciate his design.  The hypnotic swirl on its belly is akin to the intestines of a tadpole, so it isn't just a made-up design choice.  It's not technically a fighting type, but it can punch with its gloved flippers.  So that's good enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment