Sunday, September 15, 2013

Out of the Ash, Chapter 3: Prepare for Trouble

As dawn broke over the eternally green Viridian City, life slowly began to stir.  At a guardhouse at the edge of town, a young officer took her post, carrying a mug of coffee and a stack of flyers.  She placed one on the bulletin board by the entrance, amongst notices for town events and alerts.  Two images of a pair of teenagers, one a red-headed female and the other a blue-haired male were captioned "WANTED for THEFT and GANG ACTIVITY.  Please notify the Viridian Police Department for any assistance or information."

As she finished pushing in the thumbtack, she noticed a silhouette forming in the distance at the city's entrance.  It was a young boy, cradling a small yellow Pokémon.  He slowly handed it to the officer while meekly uttering, "Hospital....please..." before collapsing.

*          *          *

Ash woke up in an unfamiliar bed in a sparsely furnished room.  The sun was shining through a nearby window.  Confused, he reached for his alarm clock to check the time.  He instead grabbed his Pokédex, sitting on the nearby nightstand and he realized that he was not in his bedroom.  His shoes were placed by his travel pack next to the bed and as he bent down to put them on, he realized that his Poké Balls were missing!

"Help!  Uh...hello!  Somebody's taken my Pokémon!"

A pink-haired nurse rushed in to calm him down.  "Ash?"

"How do you know my name?  Where am I?  Where's Pikachu?"

"Calm down, there.  I'm Nurse Joy.  You're at the Viridian City Pokémon Center.  You came in from Route 1 this morning, disoriented.  You had your Trainer ID and Pokémon on you.  Officer Jenny brought you here to rest up and recuperate.  How many days have you been in the woods?"

"Um..." Ash sat down, holding his head.  "I don't know....I left Pallet Town and Pikachu wouldn't get in his Poké Ball and the Spearow started attacking and Gary and Leaf ran away and there was this big golden bird and...where's Pikachu?  He's hurt and..."

"Slow down, slow down.  I took your Pikachu and Fearow for healing.  They were in dire need of attention, but fortunately you made it here just in time.  But you really ought to be more careful with your Pokémon and bring them to Pokémon Centers if they ever get badly injured."

"Pikachu's here.  And that Fearow...?  Can I see them?"

"Not right now.  They are still in the process of healing.  It will be a while before they will be fighting fit.  If you'd like, you can come down to our waiting room.  That is, if you're feeling rested.  You can leave your belongings here.  We are very accommodating for young trainers such as yourself."

Ash nodded, and he and Joy walked to the waiting room where he saw another girl sitting on a bench, waiting for her Pokémon.  She met his eyes and grew furious.

"YOU!  You were the one that stole my bike!"

"What?  I..." And then Ash remembered.  "Oh, you're that...girl.  I'm sorry, I know where I left it.  It's..." And then Ash remembered again.  "...it's destroyed..."

"WHAT?!"

"Please, children," Nurse Joy interjected.  "Don't shout in here.  Pokémon are trying to rest."

The girl grabbed Ash by his arm and pulled him out of the Pokémon Center, towards the guardhouse.  "You're coming with me. I'm going to tell the officer that you stole and demolished by bicycle."

"Wait, wait!  It was an accident!  I was in danger!"

"I don't care!  Do you know how long it took me to walk to the city?!  I'll have you arrested!" She pulled him closer to the guardhouse.

"Look, I'm really sorry.  I promise I'll repay you!"

"How?  You don't have any money!"

"Well, I'm a Pokémon trainer, and after each battle, I get winnings, right?  So I'll give half of all my winnings to you, okay?  How much was it?  $150?"

"It was the best bike at the bike shop.  $10,000."

"What?!  That's insane!  There is no way I'm paying that!"

"We'll see what the officer has to say about that then!"

Officer Jenny was talking to another young girl dressed in a school uniform when Ash and his captor came upon them.  An old man was sitting on the bench.  "I found him again, harassing trainers and playing with his Weedle.  He spent the night here sobering up.  But this is becoming a severe problem," she told the lass.

"I know, I'm sorry.  Come on, Grandpa.  Let's get you home."

"Bah!  Those kids were on my private property!  They were up to no good!" the old man shouted.

As the lass took her grandfather home, Officer Jenny turned to Ash.  "Oh, you're the young trainer from this morning!  Ash, right?  Are you feeling better?"

The girl interrupted.  "No, tell him he has to repay me for my bicycle that he stole and destroyed!"

"I can't afford that much!" Ash protested.

"Well, did you take her bike without asking?"  Officer Jenny asked.

"Yes."

"And did you damage her property?"

"...Yes."

"Then it's the right thing to do."

Ash sighed.  "Fine!  But you'd better be patient...um..."

"My name's Misty."  The girl responded and shook his hand.

"There, I'm glad you two kids could settle this like grown ups," Officer Jenny said.  "And I'm glad you're feeling better.  As soon as you arrived in town, I made sure to get you to the Pokémon Center quickly.  There's some vandals around town lately who have made a habit out of stealing the Pokémon from young trainers."

She pointed over to the bulletin board where the wanted poster was hanging.  Ash walked over but then took notice of one of the other flyers on the board.  It was a missing poster with a young girl on it. Brown hair, green eyes, and a blue dress.  She had been missing for over two weeks.  Her name was Leaf Green.

*          *          *

"Where are you going, Ash?"  Misty asked as she ran after him.  Ash had taken the missing poster and was looking around at street signs.

"I'm trying to find this address," he showed her the poster.  "I know this girl.  She was starting her journey with me.  She's not missing.  She's a trainer.  She has a Jigglypuff and a Bulbasaur and a talking Clefairy."

"A talking Clefairy?  Pokémon can't talk," Misty stated.  "Slow down!  If you know where she is, then why didn't you tell the police?"

"I don't want her to get in trouble.  I just want to tell her parents that she's okay and on a Pokémon journey with me."

"But...she's not with you."

"I know, but she said she was from this city.  Whoa!"  The duo came across a great complex of buildings.  A large congregation of children in school uniforms were gathered in the courtyard.  It appeared as if a Pokémon battle was taking place.

"Why did we come here?" Misty asked.  "This isn't a house.  It's a Pokémon academy!"

"A what?" He suddenly became distracted by something in the crowd of students.

A boy and girl were in the center of the crowd, battling with a male and female Nidoran respectively.  The boy looked nervous and frustrated, as he was clearly losing, while the girl stood firm and proud.  In fact, it was the same girl from the guardhouse earlier.  Ash hadn't really been paying attention before, but now he realized that the girl was the most beautiful person he had ever met.

"Nidoran...u-use Tackle!"  The boy shouted at his purple Pokémon.  The male Nidoran lunged towards the female.

"Nidoran!  Growl!"  The girl commanded.  The blue female Nidoran didn't budge from her spot and instead let out a cute cry.  The male immediately slowed down and gently nudged the female.  "Now, Scratch!"  The female then powerfully dug her claws into the male, sending it retreating.  The girl was declared the winner and her friends surrounded her while the boy collapsed in despair.  As she passed by him, she snidely said, "You should have used Leer first, to lower my defense.  Every First Year knows that."

Ash and Misty approached the boy who exclaimed to no one in particular.  "It's no use.  I'll never be as good as her!"

"But, the battle's not over.  No one fainted," Ash said to Misty.

"I told you, this is a Pokémon academy.  Students can learn about battling technique and Pokémon instead of going on a journey to collect badges and defeating strong opponents.  If they pass the final exam, they become eligible for the Pokémon League."

"Wow," Ash exclaimed.  "Why would anyone want to just sit and study when you can go on an adventure and get stronger with actual battles?"

The defeated boy overheard him.  "Because it's not all about physical strength.  The smartest trainer is the best trainer.  And I'm an idiot!"

"Hey, don't say that," Misty said.

"It's true.  I let love get in the way of judgment."

"What, when her Nidoran used Growl?  I don't think that was love that stopped your Pokémon.  That's just how the attack works."

"No, my love.  For her." The boy continued to beat himself up.

Ash and Misty looked at each other, unsure of what to say.  Ash decided to break the tension.  "Hey," he pulled out the poster.  "Do you know this girl?  Does she live here?"

The schoolboy looked at the paper.  "Yeah, that's Leaf.  She lives in the girls' dormitories.  She's Giselle's best friend."

"Who's Giselle?"

The boy pointed at the beautiful girl who had beat him.

*          *          *

"Of course she's on a Pokémon journey!  That is so typical of her."  Giselle and her group of adoring fans walked away from the courtyard.  The girls carried her things while the boys formed a protective barrier between her and Ash and Misty.  "She was always saying how she wanted to leave school and battle Gym Leaders.  I say, good riddance.  Less competition for me."

"If you knew she was leaving, why didn't you tell Officer Jenny this morning?" Misty asked.

"What are you talking about?  I didn't see Officer Jenny this morning," Giselle insisted.

Ash snapped out of his infatuated haze long enough to respond.  "Uh-huh, we saw you with your grandfather at the guard-"

"Shhh!" Giselle interrupted.  "Um, I'm tired today gang!  I'll see you all tomorrow!  Go home!"  Giselle's fans scattered without question.  She turned to Ash and Misty.  "I don't like talking about him in front of them.  Okay?  And I didn't tell Officer Jenny because it's none of my business what Leaf does.  If she wants to hang around the Gym all day, then that's her decision."  They had arrived at the dorms.  "Look, if you want to find her, then she's probably there.  It's on the north side of town.  Now quit bothering me!"

She locked the door behind her and as Ash and Misty turned around, the saw the boy from earlier standing behind them.  He looked startled.  "Sorry, I thought maybe I can show you where the Gym is.  My name's Joey, by the way."

"Have you been following us the whole time?" Misty asked.

"Well, I've never met actual Pokémon trainers before.  I mean, ones who are on an actual journey.  I'm sick of losing all these tests here.  I've always wanted to go to the Gym and see if I could get a badge...and I was hoping Giselle would invite us in to her room..." Joey responded.

Along the way to the Gym, Joey explained how Giselle and Leaf were the best students in their class and how no one was ever able to beat them in there tests.  But while Giselle relied on tactical skills, Leaf always used force to win her simulated battles.  By the time they had arrived at the gym, the sun had set, and it didn't appear to be open.

"Hmm, strange, the Gym wouldn't be closed this early," Misty said.  "But I thought I saw some movement in the windows on the side."  She knocked on the door.  A few muffled sounds could be heard from within, followed by silence.  "Ash, someone's in there.  Give me a boost so I can see into the window.  Joey, you stay here in case someone comes to the front door."

"Um, okay?" Joey obliged, nervously.  Ash was more resistant.  "Why do I have to help you up?"

"Because you broke my bike."

"Fair enough."

Ash and Misty made there way to the side of the building and Misty put her sneakered foot in Ash's hands, hoisting herself up to the window ledge.  "I can't see too much.  The lights are on, but no one is here."  Suddenly, around at the front of the building, they could hear Joey speaking, along with some new voices.

"Uh...hello?" Joey stammered.

"Hmm, what to we have here, Jessie?" said the first voice.

"It appears there is a lost little boy who needs to find his way home, James," said the second voice who was probably Jessie.

"Nya-I don't know," said a strange high-pitched voice.  "Nya-I think we've got a little trainer here.  That's right!"

"You're almost right, Meowth, but I recognize these clothes," said James.  "We've got ourselves a Pokémon Tech student.  Remember when we used to go to Pokémon Tech, Jessie?"

"Of course!  But there were too many rules.  No staying out past curfew, no chewing gum, no Pokémon battles outside of class.  How dreadfully boring!  I'm glad we dropped out!"

"Well, let us take those Pokémon off of your hands, little boy.  After all, we want to make sure they're in good hands.  The hands of real trainers," said James.

"Uh...uh," Joey didn't know what to do.

"Hmm, perhaps you'll need some persuasion," said Jessie.  "Go!  Ekans!"

"Ash!" Misty whispered.  "Those are the thieves from the poster!  Let me down so we can fight them!" Ash let her down.  He went to grab his Poké Balls but they weren't on his belt.

"Misty!  I can't do anything!  My Pokémon are at the Pokémon Center!"

"Crap!  So are mine!  Wait...I do have one...but...just follow my lead."  Misty ran around to the front of the building.  There she saw the two teenagers from the poster, dressed in white jumpsuits with a red "R" embroidered on the front of their shirts.  A cat-like creature and a large purple snake were holding Joey down.  "Hey, you bullies!  Why don't you challenge a real trainer!"

"Oh look, Jessie!  We've got a heroine come to save the day."  James scoffed.

"Why, I guess that makes our little dashing boy a damsel in distress, James!"  Jessie laughed.

Misty readied a Poké Ball in her hand!  "Prepare to face my wrath!  Goldeen, go!"  She let her ball fly and out came a small pink and white fish, flopping on the ground.  Jessie and James burst into laughter. The cat-like creature joined in with them.  "That's it?  Nya-I think it looks more like my supper!"

Misty was a bit stunned by the fact that this Pokémon had begun talking, but she came to her senses.  "Ash, now!"  And with that, Ash began sprinting towards the Pokémon Center.  He ran so fast that he didn't notice how close the others were behind him, or if anyone was chasing him at all.  He finally made it to the automatic doors of the center and into the florescent waiting room, where Nurse Joy was waiting behind the counter, holding Pikachu who had a couple bandages around his head and limbs.

"Ah, there you are Ash.  Your Pokémon are fighting fit!  Now, Pikachu still needs a bit of time to rest, so don't over exert him like you did before."

"Thanks, Miss!  But I don't have much time." He grabbed the ball with his Fearow in it.  "Come on Pikachu, let's-"

But suddenly, the room began to fill with a dark smoke.  Ash could barely see his hand in front of his face, but he could hear two familiar voices.

"Prepare for trouble..."

"And make it double..."

"To protect the world from devestation..."

"To unite all people within our nation..."

"To denounce the evils of truth and love..."

"To extend our reach to the stars above...."

"Jessie!"  And Jessie appeared with her Ekans, who had Misty and Joey wrapped up.

"James!"  And James appeared with his Koffing, whose gas was filling the room.

"Team Rocket blasts off at the speed of light!"

"Surrender now or prepare to fight!"

And the talking cat appeared between them, dangling the Goldeen.  "Meowth!  That's right!"

Ash was stunned by what he had just saw.  These weren't just bullies.  They reveled in their crimes.  They had theatricality!  And he was part of their captive audience.

"We'd hated to see you go, but you see, we couldn't just have you alert the authorities on us," Jessie mused.  "We wanted to make sure your Pokémon found a better home.  With us.  Team Rocket."

"So, if you don't mind, we'll make taking your Pokémon, and any others that may be residing in this little Pokémon Center, please," said James.

"Nya-I want you to start with that handsome Pikachu.  He'd make a nice second course to my meal," Meowth stated before slowly lowering the Goldeen into his mouth.

"Goldeen!  No!" Misty screamed.  "Ash!  Do something!"

Ash looked down in his hands.  All he had was the crazed Fearow who he hadn't yet been able to control.  He turned to Pikachu.  "Pikachu, I know you aren't fully healed yet.  But if you can muster up one last attack..."  Pikachu nodded and ran towards the villains.

Ash prepared for the shock.  "Pikachu!  Use....GROWL!"

Pikachu stopped in his tracks, inches in front of Meowth, smiled and cutely growled a "Piii-kaaa-chuuu~!"

Collectively, Jessie, James, and Meowth cooed, "Awwwwwwww!"

Pikachu's smiling cheeks produced a few static bolts of electricity which zapped Meowth's paw, causing him to drop the Goldeen.  The shock traveled down Meowth's tail which had been pressing against Ekans, who released the captured trainers.  Ekans not knowing what to do, bit the Koffing, which promptly exploded, sending Team Rocket blasting off, far into the night.

*          *          *

The next day, Nurse Joy sat behind her desk, as the remains of the Pokémon Center crumbled around her.  Through her P.C. system, she was able to transfer all injured Pokémon to the nearest city's Center. It would have to remain this way until the Center was fixed.  But she wasn't one to hold a grudge.

Ash had spent the night in Joey's dorm while Misty slept in the girls' room.  There was a knock on the door and Joey answered it, groggily.  He was greeted by Misty and Giselle.  He was stunned as Giselle came in and leaned over to Ash to wake him up.  "Hey, that was a really sweet thing you did last night, Ash.  Maybe being a trainer isn't such a bad thing after all."  She kissed him on the cheek and walked out, as Misty crossed her arms.

Ash sat up, once again needing collecting his bearings.  "Well, I...thanks...I couldn't have done it without you!"

"She's gone, Ash," Misty said.

Joey sat down next to Ash.  "Hey, I think...I want to be a trainer like you.  Maybe one day, I'll challenge a Gym, and you'd be the leader.   Wouldn't that be cool?"

Ash yawned and looked over at Pikachu, who was sleeping on his pack.  "Yeah, that does sound cool..."

"Well, if you're going to be a great trainer, you had better start winning some battles, and that means you can start paying me for my bike!  So let's get moving!" Misty yelled.  "Also," she said under her breath, "thanks and all that.  Now, move, move, MOVE!"  She started pulling Ash outside of his sleeping bag while he pleaded with her to let go.

Meanwhile, outside the Viridian City Gym, the Team Rocket trio regrouped.

"We're on a mission from the boss to capture Pokémon, both rare and powerful, right?" asked Jessie, as she nursed her head with an ice pack.

"Yes," said James and Meowth, tending to their sores and burns.

"And so far we've just been swiping Pokémon from weak kids, right?"

"Yes."

"And that Pikachu we met last night?"

"It was rare," said James.

"It was powerful," said Meowth.

"Ergo...." said Jessie.

"We must capture Pikachu from that twerp," said James.

"But Nya-I thought we were supposed to be looking for the boss's daughter?" said Meowth.

"We can do both.  After all," said Jessie, as she picked up the missing poster that had fallen beside the Gym's window.  "I have a suspicion that our new friends know where she might be."

No comments:

Post a Comment