Friday, September 20, 2013

My Favorite Generation I Pokemon: Normal Edition

Everyone has their favorite Pokemon, and every Pokemon is someone's favorite.  And due to the sheer number of Pokemon, it is hard to choose just one or five or ten.  So I shall be looking at 50(ish) of my favorites, starting with the first generation.  Because I like placing things in categories, I shall break down my lists by type.  So our first five Pokemon shall be of the Normal type.

Remember, a lot of factors go into choosing a favorite Pokemon: visual design, species mythology, battle statistics, and noteworthy appearances in the various canons.  These aren't the best of each type.  These aren't even necessarily Pokemon I would keep on my team.  They are ones I like to discuss.

The Normal Type

Normal is the default type category.  This means you can find run-of-the-mill, average species or strange, unclassifiable species here.  Most of them learn Normal type moves on their own and a variety of elemental moves with the aid of Technical Machines.  A lot of Pokemon end up in this category, with nearly 16% of Generation I Pokemon having this typing (and two/thirds of those are pure Normal while the remaining third represent birds with a secondary Flying type).  They aren't super-effective against anything, but they are immune to Ghost types (playing on a spirit's intangibility) and weak to Fighting types (because fighters are stronger than normal individuals?).  Due to their neutrality, they can provide great support to any team.

5. Tauros
Tauros is the strongest Normal Pokemon in Generation I, with a Base Stat total of 450 (making it the 11th strongest Pokemon overall).  I usually have one on my team in the Game Boy games, for this reason, making good use of its high Attack an Speed.  I also like the simplicity of the design.  It is just a fierce bull with three whip-like tails that keep it energized and focused.  No need for improvement.  Outside of Ash's 30 rampaging Tauros, it never got any special attention, character wise.  It's more of a force than a personality.

4. Clefairy and Jigglypuff
I'm already cheating, but Clefairy and Jigglypuff are so similar, you can hardly blame me.  Both are pink, round fairies.  They have virtually similar movesets.  Clefairy gets a stronger chance to shine in the Pocket Monsters manga while Jigglypuff is more famous from the early anime episodes and the Super Smash Bros. series.  I like that both of them exist however, as their interactions in various stories play off each other very well (big egos in little bodies).  If they weren't as heavily promoted as attempted secondary mascots to Pikachu, I probably wouldn't think about them too critically.  But they are popular in Japan, so they must be doing something right.

3. Porygon
Throughout my Pokemon lifespan, I've gone through periods of "#1 favorites," and for a while, Porygon held that spot.  Part of it had to do with the mystery surrounding the character.  Since Americans didn't get the Porygon episode of the anime, I never knew his full story.  He was the first "man-made" Pokemon and he can travel through computers?  And he learns Psychic and Electric attacks?  And what exactly was it doing on the River level of Pokemon Snap?  Plus, that design is so cool.  And it would only improve from there.

2. Eevee
Eevee represents the best of what Normal has to offer.  It is both average and a wild card at the same time.  Everyone has their favorite "Eeveelution," but I just like the fact that all of them exist.  I completely understand the mindset of not evolving ones Eevee because it represents unlimited potential.  I feel that Eevee should be everyone's starter Pokemon because it would better reflect each trainer's personality and team choices.

1. Meowth
If it weren't for Meowth, Eevee would be #1 without a doubt.  But Meowth has the benefit of years as a main character in the anime, so I've seen a lot more growth can better relate to this character.  Chosen as a foil for Pikachu, Meowth is able to speak for Pokemon kind.  Sure, he might make a lot of bad jokes, but Team Rocket's Meowth has a strong backstory and character arc.  Anime aside, I also like that he represents the "lucky cat" concept in his design and is definitely my favorite of all the cat Pokemon.  I just wish he got his chance in Super Smash Bros. like Pikachu and Jigglypuff, because I've always wanted to play as him in a game.

Honorable Mentions:  Snorlax, for being a big, strong Totoro that sleeps all the time, Kangaskhan, for its classic design and omnipresent baby (that should have been its own Pokemon), and Dodrio for being a cool, speedy three-headed kiwi-ostrich.

No comments:

Post a Comment